Dogdyke Steam Drainage Station Open Day


Saturday 12th September.

Details below courtesy of  the Dogdyke website:

Dogdyke steam drainage station was built in 1856 to replace the existing wind-driven pump to drain a large area of farmland between the rivers Bain and Witham. The engine, which runs in steam on all the Open Days, is the original external condensing beam-engine built by Bradley and Craven of Wakefield. It is possibly the oldest steam-driven scoop wheel pumping set in the country that is still in steam in its original position.

In 1940, a new building was erected next to the steam pump to house a diesel driven pump to replace the steam pumping set. This is a self-contained set of equipment, consisting of a single cylinder, 23.6 litre 7XRH Ruston & Hornsby diesel engine driving a centrifugal water pump made by Gwynnes. In addition, there is a Ruston & Hornsby 1VTO small auxiliary engine, which drives an air compressor to pump up a 12 bar (200 psi) reservoir used to start the pumping engine, a suction pump to prime the water pump and a generator to power the utilities. All these items were made in Lincoln. This pumping set, although superseded by an electric pumping set elsewhere, is still maintained by the Witham 3rd Internal Drainage Board as a stand-by set, and it also runs on Open Days.

Diesel Engine

Each Open Day, the engines will be running from 1.30 to 4.30 pm. As well as the two pumping sets, there is also the old boiler to see, and a small display and museum in the old engineman’s house. Refreshments are also available. Entrance and parking are free, but donations towards the running costs are always welcome.

Gwynnes Pump